Multi-part verbs in fixed expressions. Complete the sentences with these verbs in the correct form.
bring, bump, come, get (x2), make (x2), run, take, turn (x2), watch
1. I … timeoff work next July to go camping in Scotland.
2. When we set off it was cloudy, but later it … out nice.
3. We went hitchhiking round France, but … out of money after a week!
4. I … into an old friend while I was in London; we hadn’t seen each other for ages.
5. … out. The drivers are crazy in this country.
6. I spent all day in the museum. It was worth it; I really … a lot out of it.
7. She … down with a cold on holiday after she’d been swimming in the lake.
8. I don’t want to … up the subject, but how are we going to get home?
9. This map isn’t very clear; I justcan’t … it out. I suppose after the long holiday we’ll have to … down tosome work.
10. He… up an excuse for being late for the bus.
11. They said we could stay an extra two days but we … down their offer.
Complete the sentences with the “infinitive + to” or “the –ing” form of the verbs in brackets.
Many people can’t afford to send (send) their children to private schools.
I’ve never really enjoyed … (visit) other countries.
I didn’t manage … (meet) anyone famous when I was in Hollywood.
We’re looking forward to … (see) Egypt and the Middle East.
I’ll have to consider … (take up) a job away from the city.
He offered … (organize) our trip to Mexico.
During the trek in Nepal I sometimes couldn’t stand … (sleep) in a tent.
We threatened … (call) the police if they didn’t stop … (make) a noise.
They suggested … (have) a cup of tea before we left.
I don’t regret … (go) to Asia as it was a fascinating journey.